Bayley Seton Psychiatric Hospital in Staten Island, New York City
« previous entry | next entry »
Mar. 12th, 2009 | 01:01 pm
music: side projects are never successful
posted by: farmanimalsrock in abandonedplaces
[TAKEN FROM WIKIPEDIA]
Bayley Seton is located by Bay Street to the east, Vanderbilt Ave. to the South, Tompkins Avenue to the West, and residential development to the north. The block, with portions sold off over time, also includes a public school, the St. Elizabeth Ann's Health Care & Rehabilitation Center, the New York Foundling Hospital Staten Island, and an unaffiliated geriatric center.
The current Bayley Seaton campus was constructed around the Marine Hospital Service (MHS) buildings at the site. On October 1, 1831 Staten Island's first hospital, the Seaman's Retreat, was opened here, to serve retired Naval and commercial sailors. Three of these original colonnaded structures remain, dating from the 1830s and 1840s. The MHS was to provide medical treatment to Naval personnel. On May 6, 1857, the Port of New York Quarantine Hospital in Tompkinsville, about a mile north along the shore, was attacked by a local mob, fearful of the mostly immigrant detainees. The next year, on September 1, 1858, a mob again attacked the hospital, burning it down. In 1874, resources were transferred to the Marine Hospital Service buildings at what is now BSH. Also housed there were the Seaman's Retreat, which would later become Sailors Snug Harbor, when moved around three miles northwest in the 1883. At that point the entire complex was operated U.S. Marine Hospital Service.
With this move came a greater need for study of disease. in 1887, 28 year old MHS officer Dr. Joseph J. Kinyoun, established a single room bacteriological laboratory on the top floor of the Marine Hospital. The National Institutes of Health began as a single room Laboratory of Hygiene for Bacteriological Investigation established by the U.S. Marine Hospital Service at Stapleton, Staten Island, New York, in 1887. From 1887 to 1891 the Laboratory was located in the attic of the Marine Hospital on Staten Island, which had been the Seaman's Retreat until leased by the Federal Government in 1883 and made part of the Marine Hospital Service. The building that housed the Laboratory still stands and is part of the Bayley Seton Hospital.
In 1902, the United States Congress passed legislation to fund the Laboratory of Hygiene for Bacteriological Investigation, and moved it to Washington, where, in the 1930s, it became the National Institutes of Health. In the 1930s, President Franklin Roosevelt began a campaign to construct an maintain US Public Health Service Hospitals, to serve the Military, veterans, and the general public. As part of this process, what is now the main building of Bayley Seton was constructed. Staten Island Public Health Service Hospital was built as a five to seven story hospital, in a Mayan revival style. Until 1981, the hospital operated impatient and outpatient services, emergency, surgery, and rehabilitation wards. Military installations at Fort Wadsworth, Fort Hamilton (just across the narrows in Brooklyn), the Staten Island Home port, Miller Field Air Station, as well as air, naval and Coast Guard installations built during the Second World War assured a large military and veteran population for the hospital. In 1980, President Ronald Reagan announced plans to close or sell all such hospitals, and despite local protest, Staten Island Public Health Service Hospital was sold to the Sisters of Charity of New York, a Catholic medical and social services system.
The Sisters of Charity renamed the hospital Bayley Seton after New York's Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, and her father Richard Bayley, an American born British Army Revolutionary War surgeon and founder of the New York Dispensary. The New hospital expanded its campus buildings to include the Saint Elizabeth Ann outpatient clinics and turned over part of the campus to the New York Foundling Hospital. In the 1990s Amethyst House, a women's Drug Abuse Treatment center was opened, as well as an Alcoholism Acute Care Unit on the 3rd floor, a Saint Vincents Nursing School on the fifth floor, social service agencies in other buildings, including the St. Elizabeth Ann's Health Care & Rehabilitation Center, hospital impatient Drug rehab treatment services, services for co-occurring mental and substance abuse disorders, a psych emergency center (a Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program - CPEP), and the center for a mental health client dispersed housing and in-community employment program.
In the year 2000, Sisters of Charity turned over Bayley (along with their main Staten Island hospital) to Saint Vincent's Catholic Medical Center, itself the Manhattan and Westchester County New York's Sisters of Charity run hospitals, to create Saint Vincent's Catholic Medical Centers New York. Facing financial difficulties almost immediately, Bayley saw around half its services closed, including its emergency room, pharmacy, surgery, and most medical clinics closed. After filing for bankruptcy in 2003, SVCMC spun off or closed almost half its sites, including selling their Bard Avenue Staten Island Hospital to Bayonne Medical Center, becoming Richmond University Medical Center in 2007. Most psych and addiction services were retained, along with addiction treatment, and outpatient clinics for geriatric, HIV, Military and family health services, and mother and baby care.
 Recent activity
At the beginning of 2008, SVCMC had formally separated from Richmond University Medical Center, while negotiating a deal to share Bayley Seton. As of 2007[update], there are an estimated 1,500 patients who use the Bayley Seton facilities regularly, and as of 2004 (prior to the RUMC / SVCMC split) the hospital employed approximately 550 staff, just more than half the 990 employed in 2000.
Six smaller buildings were closed, staff consolidated, and a deal was struck whereby at the end of 2008, the Salvation Army would purchase the Bayley campus, demolish the Main hospital, and build a recreation center. As of March 2008, there has been public, political, and press outcry at this plan, especially as the new Richmond University Medical Center announced it would end most operations at Bayley and scale back operations at its main campus.
Similar campaigns have failed to stop closures and downsizing at Bayley in the past.