Imber Village, Wiltshire, December 2012
The entire civilian population was evacuated in 1943 to provide an exercise area for American troops preparing for the invasion of Europe during the Second World War. After the war villagers were not allowed to return to their homes. The village, which is still classed as a civil parish, remains under the control of the Ministry of Defence despite several attempts by former residents to return.
The church is still maintained and is open for visitors some days
Most of the graves had fallen into disrepair
There were some newer graves so that previous residents could be reunited with their loved ones