Newark Custodial Asylum for Feebleminded Women of Child-bearing Age became a reality in 1890, with a capacity of 600 women. By 1918 the name had been changed to "Newark State School for Mental Defectives." In 1922 the admittance was opened up to girls as young as five.
The final name change occurred in 1927 when the name of "Newark State School" was finally adopted.
The boys division was opened in 1932. During the '60s many patients were transferred over to the Sampson Annex at the nearby Willard State Hospital. Despite this over-crowding remained an issue to the school.
Many buildings on the property remain active, but several sit abandoned complete with expensive equipment left over.
This particular set was taken in the Hillcrest Residence on the property. This particular building was shut down in the 1990s along with several others on the property.
This was the creepy part of the place. The fact that the names of the occupants were left above doors. The question remains, what happened to these people when their home was shut down.