First time poster - First 3 are from a day trip to Ireland, the rest are mostly Scotish castles
Taken from the bus of the big red bus tour Belfast
Crumlin Rd Courthouse - Belfast
The Crumlin Road Courthouse was designed by the architect Charles Lanyon and completed in 1850. It is situated across the road from the Crumlin Road Gaol and the two are linked by an underground passage.
The courthouse closed in June 1998. It was later sold to local investor Barry Gilligan for £1. His plans for the courthouse include redeveloping it as a tourist attraction and a hotel.
No idea what this place was/is - pic was taken from the car on the drive from Dreghorn to Stranraer
On the grounds of Lochnaw Castle - which is currently used as a hotel according to the Aunt
The substantial ruins of Castle Kennedy were constructed in 1607 by John Kennedy, the 5th Earl of Cassillis (c.1567 - 1615). It comprises a Y-plan castellated mansion of four storeys and an attic, with taller wings. The windows are generally large, and the top-most were dormers featuring decorated pediments, demonstrating this was more of a mansion than a defensive castle. Destroyed by fire in 1716, it was never restored and remains roof-less.
Cemetary on the outskirts of Stranraer
Oldest visible date of passing 1498
There have been three medieval castles present on this site. The first was built by one of the stewards of the king of Scots, most probably Walter, the first steward, who came to Scotland in 1136. There is no surviving evidence of this castle above ground today.
The second castle was built in the late 13th Century by Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward, this castle was predominantly built of stone. It would have been one of the grandest baronial residences of its time. It was largely destroyed by the English during the Wars of Scottish Independence wars of independence in the early 14th century. There is little remaining of this castle, however there is a well and a rounded stump of a tower near to the present castle.
The third castle was built by Robert Stewart, probably to mark his accession to the throne as Robert II in 1371. It was three storeys high. The top floor above the lofty stone vault was the upper hall – the great hall. It was for the more private use of the king and family. The first floor was the lower of the two halls – the laigh hall. It would have been used for more public activities like feasting and the holding of the baron court.
The ground floor was a storage area. It was probably originally subdivided providing cellars for different commodities like wine, ale, foodstuffs and fuel. The tower house was extended in the 15th century to add additional private chambers and a prison. The outer courtyard (called more properly the barmkin) was completed and ancillary buildings (stables, bakehouses, brewhouses, smithy, etc) built against the barmkin wall.
The third castle comprises almost everything you see above ground today, including the tower which dominates the hill.
Sits beside Loch Ness in Scotland along the A82 road, between Fort William and Inverness. It is close to the village of Drumnadrochit. Though extensively ruined, it was in its day one of the largest strongholds of medieval Scotland, and remains an impressive structure, splendidly situated on a headland overlooking Loch Ness. It is also near the castle where the majority of Nessie (Loch Ness Monster) sightings occur.
Unlike the previous poster of Urquhart pictures..... i did happen to fine the elusive Nessie....
Turns out - she was just hanging out down the road outside the nessie experience..... or something like that