December 16th, 2011

Cigarette

Teriaevo village, Volokolamsk district, Moscow region, Russia. The Church of Ascension.

The church is known from the XV century, afterwards a number of reconstruction were held. The belfry and the refectory were built within 1812 – 1825. In 1930s the church was closed and used as a garage for some time, then finally abandoned. In 2005 the roof of this five-domed church collapsed. The Moscow Regional Government stated that this church has the status of historical monument in 2004 but nothing has been done to save the building ever since. Inhabitants of the village try to collect donations to reconstruct the church but it will cost really a fortune to rebuild it.
Collapse )