The castle was built in 1866 by the English architect Milner under commission from the Liedekerke-Beaufort family, who had left their previous home, Vêves Castle, during the French Revolution. Their descendants remained in occupation until World War II, when it was taken over by the National Railway Company of Belgium as an orphanage. It remained a facility for the use of children until 1980. It has stood empty since 1991. Although the municipality of Celles has offered to take it over, the family has refused, and the enormous building is now (as of 2011) in a derelict state. The building is planned for demolition during 2014.
( Collapse )