From the scant information available online, the Wai'alee Boy's Industrial School was established in 1906 as a reform school for "wayward" boys. Boys assigned to the school worked the adjacent pineapple fields, poi factory and pig farm. There are conflicting reports, but it seems the school was closed some time in the 1930's or 1940's.
A recent 2002 fire in the abandoned dormitory building gutted the structure, and it is now being steadily reclaimed by the surrounding rain forest. The rest of the property belongs to the Crawford Convalescent Home for seniors.